Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Ferryman...........

This tym m here wid a story..Long ago, there was a ferryman who lived by the riverside, quite isolated from the outskirts of the city..He had a beautiful wife with him whom he loved more than his life.. For him, she was the beautiful sunrise and also the enchanting sunset..she was not that beautiful but for the ferryman, she was the most beautiful woman..The li'l vermillion mark was enough for him to search for the lust of jewellery over her..They had a li'l world of their own where they happily lived with whatever they earned from the ferry..But the time wheel rotates and happiness and sorrow too move on with that..Its just depends on how we prepare ourselves to accept both the situations.
It was a very nice day with a pleasant weather. But for some or the other reasons, there was not a single customer that day.The ferryman sat sadly for that day he had not a single piece of bread to feed his life, his wife.. The wife consoled her that it was not a big deal.. When they are together, hunger wasn't a big problem, infact no problem at all..but by the evening, she suddenly developed a very high fever and started moaning in pain.Seeing her in this condition , the ferryman trembled in fear and anxiety. Even to get a cup of milk, he had to row the ferry to the otherside of the river for there was nothing there near by his hut. So he told his wife that he ld immediately return from the otherside of river and bring medicines and something to eat for her.. He went and started to row his ferry when he saw towards the sky just to see an upcoming furious storm. But somehow he had to get medicines..he somehow felt happy that he had kept his life jacket with him as it was never possible to swim in that deep river and that too against a deadly storm.Somehow, he reached the otherside of the river safely, bought some medicines and bread and milk in debt and ran to catch his ferry and run to his wailing wife..Just then, a man came running behind him and requested him to ferry to the other side.The ferryman said that no I can't take you to that side for the storm is overhead and I have only one life jacket. But the man fell at his feet and told my wife is too sick at the city and I must reach her otherwise she will die  without me..The ferryman was perplexed for his wife needed him too immediately and in the way if he dies, what would she do alone in this world? she loved him so much.How can he live her alone to fight in this selfish world? But at the same time, his wife had always told him to help others..Her selfless love had brought out a perfect human out of him.How can he be selfish now? After all, some other wife was too waiting for her husband.So he told the man that if in the way he dies then he should deliver the medicines, bread and milk to his wife who is also ill the other side. And prayed God:"I don't know what will happen to my wife if I die today? but this love was a blessing which was the essence of my life.If today ur goodness exists and U bless me for sacrificing my life for saving somebody else, then let those blessings be bestowed on my wife who will be alone after I die." And then started his ferry. But as expected the storm destroyed the ferry.The ferryman handed over the life jacket to the man and helped him to swim safely towards the other side..The ferryman tried his best to swim against the stormy tides so that he reaches to his loving life.But his destiny did not favour..He drowned in the mid way.But he was happy. For he was sure, his sacrifice wont go waste and some or the other way his wife would start leading her life..Coz LIFE MOVES ON.....
 This was the story. I just think what must have occured on the wife of the ferryman after getting the news..Would she have cursed his husband who left her alone or would have felt proud on her love?
So now, I ve a question for my readers, "Had u been at the place of the ferryman's wife, how would you have reacted?" please be truthful..I loved the story when I read. Hope u all have loved it too...For me, its simply a heart rendering story.

2 comments:

  1. I wouldn't have given my life jacket,coz I got a brain too!!!ur take??

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would have done d same as ferryman

    ReplyDelete